01 March 2011

“Ang Maisisilid sa Bulsa” (Eugene Evasco)


What Can Be Stored in a Pocket

Our yellowing photographs;
Petals of ylang-ylang;
Wilted leaves of santan;
Three sticky bottle caps;
And a rusted nail bolt.
Bus tickets stuck together;
A brittle letter, torn and tattered;
Postage stamps,
Unused;
And filched songhits.
Worn pencil, cigarette butts
Filthy towel (crusted with sweat)
A scandalous pen
Faded ribbons from a recent gift.
Dusty calling cards, picture of Nora
A foul-smelling wallet, a folded palanca
Tear-stained handkerchief
Soiled.

I cannot store you
In my pocket.




     TRANSLATED FROM FILIPINO

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I just saw this. I love it, Rise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bloo. You reminded me of this in the FFP poetry thread. I first read it in a literary folio in college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you post the Filipino version as well, next time, Rise? If it's ok. Am in love with Filipiniana poetry and I rarely get any now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Claire. Yes, I'll keep that in mind. I also like comparing the original with the translation. The original of the above poem is reprinted here.

    ReplyDelete