Short-cropped curly hair. Elongated, triangular face. Bushy brows. Eyeglasses. A cigarette. Near the lips. About to blow. Telltale signs that I'm looking for in a cartoon or caricature. It was hard to select one to use for an online reading group avatar. A lot of good drawings of B were uploaded in the web.
1. This illustration by Phillip Fivel Nessen for The Stranger is one of my favorites. Notice the fingers. And the background tells a story.
2. I love this illustration by Carlos Cardona. The exaggerated broad forehead, the background wash of colors, the prominent vein in the hand. Beautiful. The yellow eyes and the ashen skin color make him look like a zombie. This is in my top 3. In fact this is the avatar I've chosen, for now.
3. Noir look. It makes me smile. The nose, the smoke, the open fingers. It's from Marci, also in deviantart.
4. A photograph of a street art, posted in flickr (by gsz, via Global Graphica).
5. This is fun, too. The Chilean looks like a sulking teen. Art by Tomas Leal Elgueda.
6. This appeared in The New York Times review of 2666. Art by Christoph Niemann.
8. Accompanying an essay translated from Entre paréntesis. Published in Molossus.